For a couple of months now, I have been making English Muffins every Sunday for our family to enjoy throughout the week- it is something we all look forward to and today I am sharing the recipe!
Since I make these for our family of seven (my parents included) I had to modify this recipe to yield more muffins. After making these a handful of times, I played with the amount of flour to water and found this recipe to work best making around 15-20 muffins depending on how big you make them.
A few ways to eat them…
They are delicious with just butter, but you can also enjoy them with eggs and bacon, your favorite homemade jelly, in place of a burger bun… trust me, once you make these and are use to eating them fresh, you will not want to buy them at the store anymore!
Delicious English Muffin Recipe
*Yields approximately 18
- 2 c warm water (warmed to 115-130ºF)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 5 c flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- cornmeal for dusting
- Pour warm water into large bowl, sprinkle in sugar, sprinkle yeast on top. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes to foam.
- Add in melted butter, flour, salt and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Drop dough onto floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes. *you will need to continue to sprinkle in flour until the dough no longer sticks to your hands
- Shape dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise at least one hour (or until doubled in size) in a warm place. *tip- I always let my dough rise inside my oven (while off) with the light on which maintains a temperature around 90-100º and I place a small bowl of water inside too for moisture.
- Once dough has doubled in size, drop onto floured surface and knead a few more minutes.
- Divide dough into equal parts by pinching off around 18 balls.
- Sprinkle a work surface with cornmeal and roll the balls of dough in your hands and gently flatten by pressing down with your palms.
- Sprinkle more cornmeal on top and cover with a tea towel to let rise for 20 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat (I use this 15″ skillet so I can cook 6 muffins at a time) melting 1 tablespoon of butter and place your english muffins in allowing room for them to rise while cooking.
- Cover and cook on low/medium heat for approximately 9 minutes.
- Uncover, add a little bit more butter, and flip the muffins over. Cover and cook another 5 minutes or until golden on both sides.
- Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining dough until all cooked.
- Enjoy fresh and warm or store at room temperature for up to 5 days.